- mdbergeron at gmail
An experienced software, systems, and solutions engineer with experience providing the technical leadership necessary to enable focused, efficient teams that also have a good time. Twelve years of industry experience in a wide array of technical areas and engineering environments, and a very fast learner in new areas. A background in Linux-based consumer electronics, plus a large interest and growing experience-base in machine learning, deep learning, and cloud computing.
- Autonomous technical decision making
- Deep knowledge of developing-for and using Linux
- Transparent, honest, tactful communication
- Team enabling through trust and effective delegation
- Accurate task prioritization, scheduling, and assignment
- Wide breadth of software and hardware knowledge
- Creating efficient and meaningful development processes
- Excellent trainer for technical topics
Intel Corporation - June 2007 - Present
Venture - Leadership Pipeline Programs - Tech. Lead; Sr. Solutions Engineer - Jan 2016 – Pres.
- Technical Lead for a startup-like engineering team focused on activity and event recognition, particularly in and around home pools, utilizing deep learning, computer vision, and robotics.
- Designed multiple system SW architecture including short-term and long term arch. plans, interfaces, and state machine.
- Trainer for many areas team members had little-to-no experience in including git, gerrit, JIRA, the Linux kernel, and more.
- Defined team SW development processes to ensure a robust development environment while maximizing team throughput by leveraging Scrum and Kanban agile methods, code review practices, etc.
- Implemented Amazon Web Services (AWS) systems including API gateway, Lambda, S3, IAM roles, security, and more.
- Prototyped a water-based robot, and implemented areas such as the XBee on Arduino, and Python control modules.
- Deep Learning framework investigation and integration for models in Caffe and TensorFlow. Retraining of image classification models such as Singleshot Multibox Detection (SSD) and You Only Look Once (YOLO) using modified data sets such as Pascal VOC 2007, 2012.
- Lead of the LPP marketing and communications pillar which creates internal external marketing collateral including websites, recruiting handouts, posters, slide decks, etc.
- Interviewing and analysis of potential customers and market segments such as insurance agents and home owners.
- Adviser for a Portland State University Mechanical Engineering senior capstone team focused on providing flotation assistance from underneath of a person, as well as internal part-time resources around robotics and an Android application.
Android OS Engineering - SSG Open Source Tech Center - Team Lead; Sr. SW Engr. - April 2013 – Dec 2015
- Technical lead for US Android boot, flashing, over the air update (OTA) engineering team, handling tasks such as architectural review, task definition, prioritization, and assignment.
- Owner / Decider for approximately 35 team members, across three geos., covering all features and changes to Intel’s EFI SoFIA 3GR bootloaders, fastboot, and OTA mechanisms.
- Architecture and development of C C++ boot, flash, and over the air (OTA) update features including signing for block-based OTA updates, Factory Reset Protection, SoFIA 3GR board identification, Google Verified Boot, boot time improvements, and more for KitKat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow Android releases.
- Co-owner of the graphics media Android topic branch. Integrated graphics media releases to 1Android / GMIN. Debugged and drove many issues to closure including performance, flickering, application system crashes.
- Defined and executed security update policy, debugged and made SE Linux policy changes, and more.
- Debug of difficult platform issues including a hang during resume from S3; system hang during power off.
Security SW, SDK, Display - Digital Home Group - Software Engineer- June 2007 – March 2013
- Architect and developer for software and firmware systems to enable content protection solutions such as PlayReady (Netflix), and Widevine (Google Play) for the security controller (SEC) on Intel CE SoC’s.
- Acting Security SW Team manager(sabbatical coverage) for most of Q4 2012.
- Architecture and development of suspend-to-RAM support for the SEC kernel driver, FW loading, and pre-silicon support.
- Architect and developer for a migration of the SDK from a proprietary system to a buildroot based open-source solution.
- Expert in creating, maintaining, and debugging issues in complex, dynamic GNU Make systems.
- Developer for user and kernel space Linux code for component and composite TV display port drivers.
Motorola, Inc - .June 2005 - May 2007
Linux-Java OS / Datalogger Team - Mobile Devices - Software Engineer - June 2005 – May 2007
- Lead developer for the Application (AP) Datalogger on ARM/Linux-based cellphones.
- Linux kernel module (v2.4 2.6), user-space daemon, and shared library development to support software development data logging and debugging.
- Triage, debug, and correction of general Linux OS issues including kernel panics, and user-space application crashes.
Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN
- B.S. Computer Science Sept. 2000 – May 2005
- Minor: Political Science
- Other Significant Work: Earth and Atmospheric Science
- Comp. Sci. Course Work: Java, Computer Architecture, Data Structures, Compilers, Operating Systems, Information Systems, Analysis of Algorithms, Computer Networks, Computer Security, Software Engineering
- Small-Team Research Project: Network traffic pattern analysis for worm detection, and comparisons to the spread of biological pathogens.
- President and Secretary: Purdue Linux Users Group.
- US Patent 20140189853 - Content Protection Key Management:A system for protecting DRM encryption keys.
- Programming: Proficient in C, Python, BASH Shell Scripting, GNU Make, Python, . Experience with many others including C++, Java, Arduino C, CMake, and Perl.
- Operating Systems: Proficient with Ubuntu / Debian Linux, Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows. Experience with other Linux distributions such as RHEL, Fedora, and Arch Linux.
- Tools Processes: Git, Gerrit, Docker, JIRA, Caffe, TensorFlow, Subversion.
- SW Licensing: Extensive experience working with and explaining the requirements of open-source (GPLv2, GPLv3, LGPL, BSD, MIT, Apache, etc.), creative commons, and proprietary licensed software.
- AWS tools: S3, Lambda, CloudFront, WAF, IAM, CodeCommit, EC2, API Gateway, RDS, Route53, VPC, CloudWatch
- Foreign Languages: Spanish (2 years), French (3 years).
- US Natural Born Citizen